• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home FAQ


E-mail Print PDF
Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

Vessel Licenses

Radio Licenses

FAQ Answers

Pleasure Craft Operator Card
>> Who needs a PCOC card?
If you were born after April 1st, 1983, and operate any type of powered vessel, you need your Operator Card now. If you operate any type of powered vessel 4 meters (13.2ft) or less in length, you need it now. Everyone else who operates any type of powered vessel of any length will require their Operator Card by September 15, 2009.
>> Where can I get my PCOC card?
CPS-ECP is a non-profit organziation that offers the Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) across various locations in Canada. Squadrons in and around the Victoria area offer both the Boating and Boat-Pro courses. Successful completion of either course will allow you to receive your PCOC.
>> Is the CPS PCOC any different than the others?
Yes. The CPS PCOC courses and tests are the only ones approved by both Transport Canada and The US National Association of Boating Law Administrators. As such the CPS PCOC Card is the only one officially recognized in both the US and Canada.
>> Is the PCOC the only certificate that I need to operate a powered pleasure craft in Canada?
Officially yes, but CPS believes that most operators of recreational vessels need to know more. For example, how to leave and return to a dock under different wind conditions, how to anchor a vessel properly, understanding tides and currents, the use of environmentally friendly boating practices, how to trailer a vessel and the differences between canoes, kayaks, personal watercraft, sailboats and all kinds of powered vessels. Our 14 week Boating Course covers all of these topics in detail.
>> Do I need to carry my PCOC with me while operating my boat?
Regulations state that you are required to carry the PCO Card with you while operating any powered vessel and produce it when requested to do so by any law enforcement officer. They will usually ask for some sort of photo ID as well. The fine for not carrying your PCO Card is $250 plus local expenses which can raise the amount to over $300.
Vessel Licenses
>> Where do I get a vessel license or transfer ownership of my vessel?
Transport Canada has contracted with Service Canada to manage the vessel licensing system. You can go to any one of 320 Service Canada offices across the country.
>> What information do I need to license my vessel?
You need a bill of sale. If the vessel has already been licensed you will also need the vessel license signed off by the original owner.
>> Do I need to carry the vessel license on board my vessel?
Yes. The law requires that you carry a copy of the vessel license on board your vessel. We suggest that you take a copy of the original, laminate it and keep it in a safe place on board. Keep the original in a safe location at home. Do not laminate the original as you have to be able to assign it to a new owner if you sell your vessel.
Radio Licenses
>> Do I need an Operators Certificate to use a VHF radio?
Yes, anyone who operates a VHF or MF radio using Marine frequencies, including a handheld, requires a Restricted Operators’ Certificate (Maritime) (ROC(M)). Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons manages the ROC(M) programme for Industry Canada. Victoria Power and Sail squadron offers the ROC(M) course twice a year.
>> Do I need a station license for my VHF radio?
If you are operating your VHF radio, including a handheld, on a Canadian vessel in Canadian waters - No. If you travel into international waters, including US waters, the answer is - Yes. Read the full report.
>> Where do I get a station license?
Contact any regional Industry Canada/Spectrum Management office in Canada. If your VHF has Digital Selective Calling (DSC) you will require a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) in order to activate the unit. You can also get your MMSI from Industry Canada/Spectrum Management.




Last Updated on Saturday, 05 September 2009 22:38  

Members Only